[ga] Re: [At-Large] Registrars exploit the lack of ICANN contract enforcement

  • To: At-Large Worldwide <alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] Registrars exploit the lack of ICANN contract enforcement
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:46:58 -0800

Danny and all my friends,

  Nicely and accurately outlined here Danny.  Well done!

 Question:
Does ICANN's staff, board or legal council care?
Answer:  Seems not, or so far, no.

Question:  Will the ICANN Bod, staff or legal council ever
                effect a actual solution?
Answer:    Maybe some day, but don't hold your breath.

Question:  What does this say about the leadership of ICANN?
Answer:    It's poor at best, nonexistent or absent at worst.

Question:  How can all this be rectified?
Answer:    Fire the lot of them and DOC/NTIA can re-issue
                 ICANN's contract to a responsible group.

Danny Younger wrote:

>   Question
>   What is Register.com's Domain Hold service and how
> much does it cost?
>
>   Answer
>   Domain Hold is a service that enables you to
> exclusively reserve domain name(s) for 4
> days-preventing registration by others during that
> period. If you decide to register the domain name
> during the hold period, you will only be able to
> register the domain name through Register.com.
>
> The Domain Hold service is free, however you will be
> charged the regular fee for registration when you
> choose to register the domain name.  Please visit our
> Pricing page for current terms and pricing.
>
> How does Register.com?s Domain Hold service work?
>
>   Answer
>   Once you have indicated that you would like to place
> a domain name on hold, Register.com will hold the
> domain name on reserve  so that you, alone, can
> register it within the 4 day hold period.
>
> Register.com will place the domain name in a special
> account and you will be emailed instructions and a
> link explaining how to proceed with your registration
> and transfer the domain name to your own account.
>
> If you do not register the domain name within the 4
> day hold period, the domain name will again be
> available for registration on a first come, first
> served basis.
>
> Question
>   Domain Hold - Why does the  WHOIS database show
> Register.com as the Registrant of the domain name I
> requested be placed on hold?
>
>   Answer
>   Register.com is listed as the Registrant of the
> domain name you requested be placed on hold to enable
> you, alone, to register the domain name you are
> interested in during the 4 day hold period.
>
> If you have not registered the domain name during the
> 4 day hold period, on day 5 it will again be available
> for registration on a first come, first served basis.
> If you choose to proceed with the registration within
> the 4 day hold period, the domain name will be
> transferred to you.
>
> [My question]
>
> Why isn't this a violation of RAA 3.7.4:
> 3.7.4 Registrar shall not activate any Registered Name
> unless and until it is satisfied that it has received
> a reasonable assurance of payment of its registration
> fee. For this purpose, a charge to a credit card,
> general commercial terms extended to creditworthy
> customers, or other mechanism providing a similar
> level of assurance of payment shall be sufficient,
> provided that the obligation to pay becomes final and
> non-revocable by the Registered Name Holder upon
> activation of the registration.
>

> http://help.register.com/cgi-bin/register_help.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2796&p_created=1185549188&p_sid=*Nq5PxZi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD01NDImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&a

> [...]

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827