Re: [ga] ICANN Opens Comment Period on Proposed Add Grace Period Modifications for NeuStar and Afilias

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Opens Comment Period on Proposed Add Grace Period Modifications for NeuStar and Afilias
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:25:37 -0800

Dominik and all,

  I see an incentive, but no solution.  Seems to me offering incentives
to your own registries/registrars to behave in a reasonable way is
sending a very wrong message.  That message being, "well you have
been bad boys and girls, so in order to get you to behave, here's
a cookie!"  Bad idea!  Instead, something a bit more grating and
costly to the offending registries/registrars such as dis-accreditation
or suspending accreditation would be in order as a first level approach.
Next, if such Tasting/Frontrunning activities have not ceased with
any Registry/Registrar in a short given period of time, perminant
dis-accreditation and filing suit to recover future damages for
damaged Registrants or those whom attempted to register any
Frontrunned or Tasted domain as an additional penility.

  Thievery, which is eseentlially what Frontrunning/Domain Name
Tasting is, should never be addressed by offering a cookie for god's
sake!

Dominik Filipp wrote:

> Ah, now I perhaps see the incentive...
>
> The 10% AGP deletion cap proposed in both proposals once approved becomes a
> "precedent" how to proceed with other registries, which will logically lead
> to 'solve' the Domain Tasting issue in the same way. Much like the .com
> registry agreement and the subsequent .info, .org, .biz approvals.
>
> Very smart strategy... but still transparent ;-)
>
> Dominik

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827