Re: [ga] ICANN's WDPRS has Crashed

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN's WDPRS has Crashed
  • From: kent@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:59:57 -0800

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:53:46AM -0800, Danny Younger wrote:

> I've received a report this morning that ICANN's Whois
> Data Problem Report system (WDPRS) has crashed.  I'm
> told that last week the system experienced a 20-30 per
> cent timeout failure rate (which has this morning
> reached 100 percent).
>
> Perhaps an update from ICANN Staff is in order.

Hi Danny

The actual error I'm seeing is that a database table filled up, and I'm
fixing that at the moment -- there are over half a million entries; the
table is over 4 GB.

Apparently somebody has a script that submits *many* complaints, because the
size of that table has grown enormously over the past couple of months.  I
don't have exact figures, but I suspect that recently we are getting on the
order of 100000 complaints per month.

In the case of the WDPRS, every complaint needs to be examined by a human
being -- the consequences of deleting a good domain are pretty serious, and
due diligence is required.  In addition, it is relatively common to receive
malicious/mistaken complaints about perfectly legitimate domains.

The reason for the timeouts is because the WDPRS is rate limited by the fact
that every complaint does a whois query, and whois queries are rate limited
by registrars and registries to prevent datamining and other things.

In any case, the system will be back online sometime later today; the rate
limits will continue to be in effect.

Best Regards
Kent