Re: [ga] Drafting Teams

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Drafting Teams
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:59:26 -0800

Dominik, Avri and all,

  I concur with Dominiks thoughts and concerns here.  Registrants
being under or not at all represented are the ones effected most
and whos positions are considered least with respect to registrant
and registration, domain name and domain name related issues
and/or concerns.

Dominik Filipp wrote:

> Avri,
>
> the problem does not lie in establishing a Drafting Team and subsequent
> working groups with broader public participation but the way how the
> public input is being constantly ignored by the GNSO Council. We do have
> the straw poll results we do have suggestions from the mailing lists and
> other involved organizations putting outstanding efforts in providing
> some evidence. Many of them have delivered solid analyzes of the problem
> or at least have raised essential questions that have never been
> answered. All this, however, does not prevent the Council, during its
> meetings, from not even mentioning most of them.
>
> The mostly supported suggestion resonating in the public comments -
> elimination of the AGP - has never been seriously considered during last
> Council meetings, at least in the transcripts published on the Internet.
> Instead, a $0.20 fee suggestion was unanimously approved for the Board
> staff recommendation in order to be, in a next minute, immediately
> replaced with a NeuStar-like approach. What a masquerade! Again without
> any solid-based analysis or evidence provided. One ad-hoc solution
> replaced by another ad-hoc one. Jeff Neuman from NeuStar has brightly
> revealed this lack of competence when depicting all that familiar
> emotional speech "I feel", "I don't feel", "I'd like", "I'm a bit
> concerned" of few like-minded individuals instead of providing,
> considering, and elaborating on real facts.
>
> Instead, the meeting discussions have almost degenerated to a bargaining
> on various Registrar desires regarding increasing the AGP deletion cap
> to 5%, 8%, or 10% and how to preserve maximum profit out of it. Ah, and
> I have almost forgotten to mention eNom's tacit desire to have the cap
> of at least 100%. It is really impressive how the Council is prompt all
> ears to such Registrar desires and in case of a problem I often read in
> the transcripts "we have to ask Registrars for further clarification of
> their concerns". But where are the legitimate Registrant needs in all
> this, Avri? Keep in mind that the Domain Tasting issue has been
> initiated and opened due to strong Registrant/User appeals and not to
> those of Registrars. Registrars themselves could comfortably and
> profitably live with the tasting practice as long as the Registrant/User
> community would accept it.
>
> Such demonstrated GNSO Council's marginalization of public input is
> simply unacceptable in future. I welcome the upcoming deliberation
> process on the issue that could result in opening related working
> groups. But the public voice of those whom the final decision/solution
> is targeted must strongly be heard also during voting on particular
> steps. Without this the GNSO mission will fail and as such will have to
> be reformed. Reformed dramatically.
>
> Dominik

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827