Re: [ga] A Root with a view...

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Root with a view...
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:50:52 -0800

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
I cannot find another report about the TLDs most often queried at a
root name server. Other reports I've seen aggregated data, while this
small glimpse, however partial, at least *names* the TLDs.

It has been said sometimes that dummy (sorry, Karl, "boutique" TLDs)
were present in requests to the root name servers. This is clearly
false, all the non-existing TLDs queried are local domains (such as
Apple's ".local"), leaking through a configuration error.

(A lot of "boutique" TLDs are pretty dumb, so "dummy" isn't all that bad of a description - there's also a lot of really silly "boutique" products out there too.)

When I mention that the roots get the full DNS name, it's not intended to be a comment on whether 'boutique' TLDs reach the roots or not. I agree with you that such TLDs are often done via a local addition to a local resolver and not via a root at all and that if that local resolver leaks to a root then something is mis configured.

My comment on roots seeing full DNS names is simply that if and when a query gets through the gauntlet of caches and resolvers - and DNS performance depends on relatively few doing so - in those cases the full DNS "question" (i.e. the DNS name being queried) is usually present in its entirety.

        --karl--