Re: [ga] .et wildcarded

  • To: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:50:29 +0100

At 13:15 22/11/2007, Ross Rader wrote:
On 21-Nov-07, at 11:19 AM, Joe Baptista wrote:
The ICANN / IANA root zone is under significant stress when it comes
to error traffic.

When I hear that from the ICANN/IANA root operators, or at least
someone close to the community, I'll start to worry about the root
zone error traffic.

Dear Ross,
May I suggest that you have a look at NFS http://geni.net. You may find some interesting readings there, at very understandable level. I do not agree with their ultimate target (an urgent new Internet, ITU layers only) but I do acknowledge their unique expertise. You may want to read the Case in Page 5 of the GENI Research Plan. Joe is obviously very conservative, as all those who never engaged into running a real life test-bed as requested by ICANN ICP-3. IETF refused. I did on a limited community scale. GENI is engaging in a drastic test-bed. I am now preparing a "stata above" similar test.

BTW I have a difficulty with your post: what do mean by "community". Who are those close of it you trust? Why are they not member of it? Would you mean the who's RFC 3774 calls the "affinity group" and RFC 3935 calls the "leaders". It would make sense in your perspective that they would be the http://www.iana.org/assignments/special-registry ones and those who strive to close in? But are you not afraid that these pantheon's people will only give you a later than an early warning?

Take care.
jfc