Re: [ga] .et wildcarded

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:48:54 -0500

Hi David, JFC and Joe,

Let's be realistic here. Following in the steps of the .cm ccTLD, the main purpose of wildcarding the .et ccTLD is to facilitate typosquatting on a massive scale. The vast majority of trademark owners and lawyers who see these non-existing domains resolving to parking pages will incorrectly assume that domain registrants are intentionally exploiting the trademark rights of others. IMO, clear abuses of intellectual property rights such as these, encourage the media to continue to broadly mislabel all domainers as cybersquatters, even domainers who are legitimate domain registrants that respect the intellectual property rights of others. This incorrect stereotyping of domain registrants leads to a weakening of domain registrant rights.

I am not a lawyer and these are only my personal opinions. If you require legal advice, you should seek qualified legal counsel.

Note: My original reply from yesterday did not make it to the GA list. Please excuse any possible duplication.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com