Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet

  • To: ga DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:17:46 -0500

On Oct 11, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

I was waiting for clarification of a couple questions I had. I can tell
you that we do offer registrations at the second level in both
traditional and simplified Chinese, but they are not referred to as
variants. In both scripts we use variant tables provided by the Chinese
community to control variants.

The obvious question then is if the Chinese community wanted variant control, why are they not insisting on it at the TLD level?

And if the TLD test DOES work fine with both simplified and traditional variants of "test" running, why are they insisting on variant control at all?

It's always made me wonder why if HSBC registers 匯豐銀行.com to service their customer in Hong Kong, the Chinese community deems it necessary to not allow them to register 汇丰银行.com also, to the detriment of their customers in Shanghai.

And why the same rule prevents 中国.com (China in Chinese) to be registered, because someone else registered it in Japanese first.

Don't make sense.