Re: [ga] Understanding the ICANN Process

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Understanding the ICANN Process
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:44:47 -0400

From John Q. Public's point of view - ICANN equals a scam. But while the scam continues thereis serious technical error to infrastructure that need to be immediately addressed by ICANN. These are technical fractures in the internet name space. ICANN knows these fractures exists - at one secret level or another, root operators know, and the fractures continue. MII (Chine), INAIC, UnifiedRoot, Government of Turkey, Arab Root Consortium etc. etc. etc.

regards
joe baptista

Danny Younger wrote:

ICANNist: Welcome to ICANN LA. What brings you to this session?

John Q. Public:  I've got a domain name issue and I'd
like to find out who my representative is...

ICANNist:  I suppose we could introduce you to the
ALAC -- they're a committee that discusses the user
interest.

John Q. Public:  Great!  ...but are these the people
that represent me, that have directors on the board?

ICANNist:  Uh, not exactly.  The ALAC doesn't have any
policy-setting authority, and ICANN no longer has any
at-large board directors... but you can still
participate.

John Q. Public:  Screw that.  I'm here to speak to my
representative, and if they don't represent me, then
I'm not interested in this ALAC.  So who represents
me?

ICANNist:  ummm, I guess you don't work for an ISP, a
registry or a registrar...

John Q. Public:  Nope, I'm just an ordinary guy that
wants to find his representative.

ICANNist:  Are you perhaps a business, or a
non-commercial organization, or maybe an intellectual
property attorney?

John Q. Public:  No, I'm just an average individual
that needs help.  So who's my representative?

ICANNist:  Unfortunately ICANN doesn't have a
constituency for registrants, but you can speak to the
Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO.

John Q. Public:  ...and who are they?

ICANNist:  They are members of the ICANN community
with the highest integrity and capability who place
the public interest ahead of any particular special
interests.

John Q. Public:  Good.  Now we're really getting
somewhere.  So show me their website.

ICANNist:  Uhhh, they don't have a website.

John Q. Public:  That's weird... is it because they're
new to the process?

ICANNist:  Actually they've been around for five
years.

John Q. Public:  Then at the very least they must have
some type of formal intake channel... where's their
Public Forum at?

ICANNist:  The NonCom Appointees don't maintain a
forum either...

John Q. Public:  Then what about an interactive
discussion list, or monthly teleconferences?

ICANNist:  No... they don't have any of that either.

John Q. Public:  ...and you said something about these
people having the highest capabilities???  How are we
supposed to get in touch with them?  When and where do
they meet as a group?

ICANNist:  They don't exactly meet as a group...

John Q. Public:  ...so what you're basically saying
is...

ICANNist:  You're not what ICANN considers to be a
stakeholder... you have no real representative in the
process... but you can always complain to the
Ombudsman.

John Q. Public:  Wonderful... and what will he do?

ICANNist:  as the Ombudsman doesn't have the power to
make, change or set aside any policy or Board
decision, he'll probably just "investigate" your
complaint.

John Q. Public:  ... and that will result in...

ICANNist:  nothing  ...but at least you'll get to cool
down while he investigates, and he will likely
encourage you to work out the situation with the
registrar.

John Q. Public:  yeah, work with my registrar who will
continue to do nothing on my behalf.  Doesn't ICANN
anywhere have a Customer Complaint Resolution
mechanism?!!
ICANNist:  No. It doesn't... but thanks for visiting
ICANN.  We'll look forward to your continued input.

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551