RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:43:03 +0200

Dear George and all,
at this time there are many serious people in the US and around the world considering alternatives to ICANN. IMHO this is not advisable.

However, this is partly due to the governance of this list. This post is an attempt to propose and initiate feasible answer, based upon a realistic analysis. Therefore it is not a short post.

On 21:25 19/09/2007, George Kirikos said:
> Could you please introduce them (no teasing meant. You explain
> Danny's, I think we need to know yours').

Sure. Read the enumerated points at:
which followed up on:

I am sorry, I was not crystal clear myself. You said that Danny was chasing free traveling in participating to the ICANN debate (I do not think he did much, but why not if ICANN is paying :-)). I was referring to your own real long term objectives with ICANN.

I wouldn't be more equal. I would participate remotely. :) My point was
that if Danny earned the minimum wage per hour, for every hour spent
bemoaning ICANN not giving him travel funding, he could go to LA or
Paris on his own, if he wanted to.

Correct. Danny where you ever on an ICANN payroll?

Personally, if ICANN spent a
fraction of its budget on improving remote participation (e.g.
Webex.com or comparable tools from Microsoft, etc.) they'd end up
saving more in the long run. Indeed, perhaps some of those companies
would even let ICANN do a meeting for "free", to test out the
technology and showcase it to an IT-savvy audience.

This would be in tune with the mission of the ICANN that you/we would have liked.

However, let us be serious and constructive for once on this GA. This is not the mission of the ICANN that we currently have and not the problems that it currently faces.

ICANN is the International American NIC agency (you will note that all the people that you are considering belong to the British Empire and ex-Colonies). There is no harm in that. At the Tunis WSIS, we all agreed for this to continue, even if this was not very clear due to the necessity of the US/Europe deal managed by the UK. We agreed to the best common interest, provided that emergent issues are addressed at the IGF, in order to permit ICANN to progressively enter into an enhanced cooperation with other national, civil, industry, and international governances (not only constituencies) without balkanization.

The problem that we are facing invlolves the fact that the only ICANN existing "GA" (i.e. a structure in tune with the IGF), is supposed to be this mailing list. If we want ICANN and the resto fo the world to progress, , we need to assist the Tunis, consensually agreed upon, process, to proceed.

1. I agree with you. This list is obviously inappropriate as a GA. However, ICANN is a "no-member" structure, and therefore, a no Member GA. It has acknowledged (ALAC) the existence of @large Members, but this is not easy to know how to manage them.

2. The ALAC Paris meeting is a good occasion to have the concerned civil activists finalizing and agreeing upon a solution. This is why we should prepare it from now on.

Jefsey's Proposition

Sometimes one has to commit to a proposition, and possibly thereafter to action.

(some may ignore the logic of the World Summit on Information Society Internet Governance Forum WSIS/IGF: the Internet Governance is considered on a multistakeholder basis and carried inside special interest/working groups named Dynamic Coalitions. i.e. not static inter-Gov UN coalitions, but open coalitions that adapt to user reality. Everyone can initiate a DC, but it should become/target to be multipartite - civil society, private sector, Govs, international institutions. For example, Joop could easily initiate and IDNO-DC, which would probably use http://wsis-idnh.org - in line with other civil society DCs).

1. Action 1 (Avri?): to rename this list in an appropriate manner to formally make it what it is, which Avri has got accepted: a GNSO "open constituency" represented to the GNSO by other constituencies, and possibly having a moderator/chair as a GNSO observer (Avri to decide).

2. Action 2 (Roberto?): to make ALAC clarify what they want to be in the ICANN IGF involvement. I see no contradiction between the current ICANN and ALAC concepts. These are "at large members in a no inner member organization". They advise the BoD on the inner issues and possibly local concerns that they may have. I think this could be concerted with ISOC since there are in fact some suggestions to have ISOC concert with IETF on users' priorities.

3. Action 3 (us and/or BoD?): unless ALAC reforms in order to adopt a multistakeholder IGF approach, there is a need for an IGF ICANN Dynamic Coalition. There are then two main possibilities:

- an open standard WSIS-ICANN Dynamic Coalition approach, which the Civil Society could initiate in order to debate ICANN related topics.

- a more ICANN specific approach (ICANN is special within the IGF) that would lead to an ICANN-GA Dynamic Coalition, in which ICANN could be a special Member. We all are members of the ICANN community.

In both cases, I think ICANN misses an ICANN/IGFSO in order to interface the IGF. This is a rather urgent issue because up to now the IGF tended to confuse the Internet and ICANN with the DNS, and therefore, the GNSO. This is quickly changing and the main issues in Rio are going to be the CIR (critical Internet resources) where IP, routing, IDN, DNSSEC, stability, RSSAC, etc. will be discussed. I would like to introduce "interoperability" myself as the core issue. It will take time. This will lead to the reconsideration of the architectural and strategic IANA issues.

The background

We have to understand, among all the "ICANNers", that the WSIS has to acknowledge the current use of the ICANN Intenet by the world digital ecosystem. It has assigned the IGF to be the place for the other Internet to emerge, in good coordination and international cooperation. In addition to national Internet architectures, four of them are of importance:

1. the Multilingual Internet. It has not much to do with the US-ASCII Internationalized Internet not being fully documented yet by the IETF, not fully supported yet by Unicode, and not fully understood yet by ICANN.

2. the Users' Internet, the IETF is not interested in it. ISOC could eventually make it documented in order to prevent a messy grassroots InterNAT answer to the CIR/ROAP current increasing concerns, for example.

3. the Internationally Distributed Regalian Network. IGF is about using the network together. This involves local laws, justice, economy, and trade. For example:

- e-commerce (English inside) the current Internationalized Internet documented architecture and W3C standards favor, is for this reason in direct violation of the WTC regulations against the technical limitation to commerce, and to lingual human rights.

- insurances - what guarantees the stability of the DNS? Who is going to pay for the tremendous catastrophe that an ICANN failure in managing the root file could become?

- national defenses. How to prevent a repetition of the ".iq" case? How to protect national intelligence against the DNS root server archives.

4. the Semantic Internet. This is obviously the most massive issue. For the time being, the entire American Datacoms strategy is based on the idea that the world communication network is developed, documented, and operated in English. This means no competition to English based technology, decentralized management, and thinking - as per RFC 3935.

Semantic Internet totally changes that. If ICANN is going to manage for some times the US World Datacoms, we all need it to be stable, in order - to ensure the transition to Globally Diverse Datacoms because Metacoms are diverse by essence,
- to keep playing the key role that they have for the USA.

This calls for a very urgent review of the situation. This is not only because of the interference of semantic addressing with the NTIA namespace, but also because the USA, ICANN, ITU, WSIS, ISO, etc. have investigated no strategy as of yet, and are therefore stark naked in front of the semantic emergence. However, Google, Wikipedia, folksonomies, Dublin Core, JTC1/SC32/WG2, MLTF, China, etc. have already thoroughly advanced on it. This can lead to an enormous disruption of everything by bringing new concepts, and torrents of new traffic that we have no bandwidth for. We are technically unprepared. An ICANN/SEMSO (Semantic Extended Management SO) along with brainware experts are very much needed.

The current danger

ICANN so far is considered as the leader of the Internet community. The US/UK deal in Tunis lead to a quadripartite governance (civil society, private sector, governments, and international institutions). This permitted to keep the CIR (Critical Internet Resources) out of the IGF, provided IETF was able to provide ICANN with, and ICANN was able to manage, the name (IDN), numbers (IPv6), parameters (innovation), language/country base (langtags), normative support (interoperability) the WSIS expected.

This is not the case. CIR are becoming a major issue. ICANN support is now fully involved through the landing of an "Internet Community", which is more or less considered as the missing technical fith party. This is acceptable as long as this is not to be understood as the "ICANN Community", and a way to retain technical control on the World Digital Ecosystem.

IMHO helping ICANN to become a better self, would help preventing an opposition with what could become the INTERNET-GA of an Internet Dynamic Coalition.

jfc