ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] Best Practices Ballot

  • To: Brian Darville <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow3tf] Best Practices Ballot
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:50:41 -0400
  • Cc: dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, roseman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 5/26/2004 4:22 PM Brian Darville noted that:

Please vote on each section of this document. Please indicate your vote in this document and email it to the Task Force and to bdarville@xxxxxxxxx by 3:00 pm EST tomorrow, Thursday, May 27, 2004.

Brian - thank you for taking this input into consideration, despite the manner in which I presented it. My apologies to the task force and our chair.

To the matter at hand, I have taken counsel from members of the Registrar Constituency and other GNSO participants and must respectfully vote "no" on all counts, with qualification, on the proposals contained in this draft.

Those qualifications being;

1. There are a limited number of highly onerous requirements that cause substantial portions of the document to become unacceptable to registrar interests. For instance, the requirement to admit liability and submit to a managed remediation plan in the event that a registrar is non-compliant with some or all of their Whois related obligations is an unworkable aspect of this document. However, many of the subordinate terms would be acceptable to the members of the Registrar constituency if they were not associated with the liability that comes with the declarations.

2. The proposal mixes active and passive verification techniques with seeming disregard for the actual quality of the end result. It is the registrar position that passive verification coupled with mandatory participation in the Whois Data Problem Reporting System will create a substantial increase in the quality of the data contained in the Whois database without undue impact on registrants and registrars. Active verification at the time of registration, beyond simple data characteristic checking is an unproven and unexplored option that is likely to impose significant cost and burden on registrants and registrars.

3. The proposal does not adequately consider the true impact of existing programs nor does it consider potential improvements to these programs in an effort to achieve whois data accuracy. The proposal is silent on existing programs like the WDPRS despite very strong data that it is a viable option that we should seriously examine and potentially mandate as policy.

4. The proposal does not sufficiently consider the inputs of the SSAC and other historical GNSO proposals including the results of the prior Whois Task Force. ICANN and the GNSO have developed a substantial number of recommendations and considerations that were not considered for inclusion in this report. The sum of many of these is likely to have a drastic impact on increasing the Whois data quality.

Overall, there are a number of elements of this proposal that the registrar constituency could support, but given the unintended - but likely - consequences, we must formally oppose this particular version.

I sincerely appreciate the investment that has been made in this document by the members of this task force and urge everyone to continue moving forward with this difficult, but important process.

-- Regards,

-rwr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org