ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

[dow3tf] Fwd: Regarding TF3 report

  • To: <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow3tf] Fwd: Regarding TF3 report
  • From: "Brian Darville" <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:13:24 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is Bruce's response to the email I sent him.

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/21/04 05:03AM >>>
Hello Brian,

I have reviewed the best practices text.

I don't think it is yet in a form that will lead to a new policy
outcome.

I recommend a basic flow along the lines of:

- current registrar obligations

- current registrar practices with respect to verification

- assessment of impacts of current situation
(ie what are the shortcomings - problems to solve)

- possible methods of verification

- recommendations for new obligations for registrars (ie new policy)
 - this should be based on an assessment of the cost/benefit
- some use cases (ie what are the typically scenarios that concern law
enforcement and IP lawyers and lets map out solutions)
 - e.g should it be on the basis of thorough/expensive verification on
every name, or should there be an element of selective investigation?
(for example in Australia the tax office used to lightly check all tax
returns, now they thoroughly check a few tax returns)

Issues of implementation would form part of the final recommendations.
These issues would include cost implications.  One thing I think is
important is to determine a model for funding extra work as part of
implementation.  I have some personal ideas here.

I think this area is very important for ICANN and thus I am willing to
help with the framework that will then allow the rational discussion of
new obligations that will improve the situation.

I disagree with Ross that implementation is out-of-scope - it is worth
at least developing a "reference" implementation - ie one that will work
but allow registrars to use different implementations.  Before doing
this =- however the key is to determine what policy changes are
necessary. The policy recommendations need to be carefully justified.

Would you be available for a phone call 5:30pm on Monday (USA East Coast
time) to discuss further?

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin