ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

=?windows-874?q?Re:=20[dow3tf]=202nd=20Draft=20Interim=20Report?==?windows-874?q?=20=97=20Please=20Review=20and=20send=20comments=20by=20?==?windows-874?q?Noon=20EST=20on=202/26/04?=

  • To: <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: =?windows-874?q?Re:=20[dow3tf]=202nd=20Draft=20Interim=20Report?==?windows-874?q?=20=97=20Please=20Review=20and=20send=20comments=20by=20?==?windows-874?q?Noon=20EST=20on=202/26/04?=
  • From: "Brian Darville" <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:50:33 -0500
  • Cc: <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <roseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vittorio:

You raise a good point.  I agree that the information Ross obtained through Registrars, including presumably one or two ccTLD registrars is not statistically significant and not representative of ccTLD practices as a group.  To reflect this in the report, I have added a sentence in this section stating:  "Of course, the limited number of responses from these registrars is not statistically significant and does not represent data verification practices of cc-TLDs as a group."

I also think it would be a good idea to hear from a ccTLD representative about data verification practices.  I understand that there will be open discussion time for this purpose at the TF3 meeting.

I am sorry that I will miss you all in Rome.

Brian

Brian Darville
Oblon, Spivak
(703) 412-6426
bdarville@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:47:53 -0500, you wrote:

>Here is the draft Interim Report.  Please review it and send any comments by Noon EST on 2/26/2004.

Just a quick note - I guess that "Paul Caine" is actually Paul Kane.

Also about this:

>		cc-TLD-Related
>
>	For these registrations, the registrars check to ensure that the registrant is a valid legal entity.  There is manual verification of the registrant-provided identity information.  However, address and other contact data are not checked for accuracy.

Maybe you have already discussed this and I am misunderstanding this point,
but what ccTLDs and registrars is this information related to? Because,
AFAIK, most registrars in Europe (where most of ccTLD registrations is
located) have automated systems and simply forward data provided by the
customer to the registry. Even in cases like .it, where a written contract
has to be faxed by the registrant to the registry, no one actually checks
that the signature on the contract belongs to a real person. Some very small
ccTLDs, where customer base is tiny and rules are strict, may possibly still
be checking registrations one by one and requiring and cross-checking extra
information such as VAT number and Chamber of Commerce registration ID, but
I don't think this is true for the biggest ccTLDs.

Anyway, I don't think you can take general assumptions about what ccTLDs do,
without having got replies to the questionnaire. We might rather try to
check directly with some of them in Rome - for example Sabine Doelderer and
Willie Black will possibly be there - so to report what they do.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...