ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] TR: Industries/Companies to Survey Practices of Other OnlineService Providers

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dow3tf] TR: Industries/Companies to Survey Practices of Other OnlineService Providers
  • From: sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:21:46 -0500
  • Cc: 3DOW3tf <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have contacts we can work through internationally if you want to poll
ISPs.   Although it may be interesting to poll ISPs, our goal here should
be to gather information from as diverse a group of industries as possible.
The financial industry sector or even the online auction industry, for
example, are excellent benchmarks, because online fraud has been a huge
challenge for them and they have developed systems to prevent fraud.  ISPs,
while they sign customers up for service and have accurate customer
records, are not receiving the same number of online transactions as some
registrars.  I think you'll find ISPs' records quite accurate as evidenced
by the RIAA's recent efforts (just rejected by the Court of Appeals in the
Verizon case)  to collect subscriber information in a form subpoena from
ISPs.

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax:      703-351-3670
sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Ross Wm. Rader"
                      <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>        To:       3DOW3tf <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-dow3tf@gnso        Subject:  Re: [dow3tf] TR: Industries/Companies to Survey Practices of Other
                      .icann.org                OnlineService Providers

                      01/12/2004 09:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ross

On 1/12/2004 9:23 AM GNSO SECRETARIAT noted that:

> I think it would be helpful to identify other international companies.

I think it would be helpful to identify local and regional companies
that provide internet services (i.e. - C4 Communications
(http://www.c4com.com/), a regional ISP that I selected at random from a
list of thousands of other ISPs.) An exclusive focus on multinational
enterprises may not best suit our data gathering purposes. More than 40%
of internet access services are sold by companies outside of the top ten
players. Contrast this with the fact that over 85% of gTLD domain
registrants buy their service from a top ten provider...)

Perhaps some assistance from the ISP constituency would get us access to
the organizations that represent these important constituents in order
that we can involve them in our survey effort.

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org