ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[council] Taking the Council's Temperature on Procedures for Consideration of 3rd Accountability Proposal

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Taking the Council's Temperature on Procedures for Consideration of 3rd Accountability Proposal
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 18:28:41 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Thread-index: AdEt92RTYIWQK6HeQ0aOEF2/BPjJOg==
  • Thread-topic: Taking the Council's Temperature on Procedures for Consideration of 3rd Accountability Proposal

Fellow Councilors:

This morning the BC held its regular members' call, and we got into some 
discussion in regard to background information I had circulated prior to the 
call (below). However, there was insufficient participation to reach a BC 
consensus, and we shall continue the discussion on the BC email list.

It was decided on the call that I would reach out to other Councilors to get an 
initial impression of whether we are aiming to discuss and vote on a Resolution 
of approval or disapproval in two weeks, on our call of December 17th, or 
whether we wish to bring that question to a vote on our first call of January 

If we are targeting the 17th then we have a great deal of work to do, including 
getting consensus feedback from those we represent and preparing a draft 
Resolution. If we are looking toward January then I would strongly suggest that 
we schedule that call for January 14th, and not the 21st which is only one day 
prior to the target delivery date to the Board.

What are your views on this most important matter?

Very best regards,

BC members, please note that the second item in item #2, following Steve's 
review of the Policy calendar, is:
*         Discussion of final Accountability proposal #3- Comments close 
December 21- procedure for BC input into CSG, and then GNSO, for Chartering 
Organization decision

The third Accountability proposal was published on Monday, November 30 for a 
comment period closing on December 21. The target date for delivering the 
Proposal to the Board for its consideration is January 22, 2016.

While public comment is being solicited, we are now at the stage where the 
primary objective is to get the Chartering Organizations to indicate whether 
they approve or disapprove of the Proposal - and, if they disapprove, what 
changes would be required for approval.

The GNSO is the relevant Chartering organization for the BC. The next meeting 
of the GNSO Council is scheduled for December 17, two weeks from today and four 
days before the close of the public comment period. Susan and I will be looking 
to BC members to provide a consensus view of the proposal that we can convey to 
the rest of the CSG, as well as the NCSG and the full Council.

The first meeting of the Council in 2016 will be held on either January 14 or 
21. If Council does not approve a Resolution of approval or disapproval on 
December 17 then I think it is a sure bet that the next call will be on January 
14, eight days prior to the scheduled Board delivery date.

With all of that as background, the guidance your Councilors are looking for on 
today's call is whether BC members believe they will be able to convey a 
consensus view on the proposal prior to the December 17 Council meeting, or 
whether we should be targeting January 14 for that Council decision. If you are 
planning to be on today's call please be prepared to share your view on that 
question, and if you are not on the call please provide your view on the 
BC-Private list.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050
Washington, DC 20004

Twitter: @VlawDC

"Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>