Re: [council] Review of CCWG - ACCT Report

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO Council List" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Review of CCWG - ACCT Report
  • From: "Edward Morris" <emorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 17:11:29 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple; d=milk.toast.net; s=MDaemon; t=1449094293; x=1449699093; q=dns/txt; h=Date:From:To: Subject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:In-Reply-To: References; bh=bAEDN0RKxKb5XK+TuKQVbRnkizCAfLb7yf+9MVBpUwg=; b=G s9taDADhw7J9V9IrsrsfHyDQBdQdtHrbyWwCqYABrvZ7lIRBNrmlPKEbNdKTV4Uc A5IwVqStomMX6V/qIEkH4N9v74DynV2o+dKKZg8J2PU4HVr5Kgh+OqFc6T/d0XoA EcWWJYS/Bzcvcel9g/n46r9Ot20y2R9odBQY7GW7x0=
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi James,

Thanks for getting out in front of this.  I've been designated as be the
NCSG Councillor reporting to the Council list on all things CCWG-ACCT.

As we approach the one year anniversary of the very first CCWG-ACCT meeting
(December 9th) it truly is amazing how much the CCWG has accomplished, and
the amount of detail and effort that has gone into the third draft report is
extraordinary. Thanks go out to so many from the GNSO who have dedicated
large portions of their lives this past year getting the CCWG to this point.
Much has been done, even more still needs to be done, and as a charting
organisation the input we'll be sending to the CCWG in response to the third
draft report is crucial to the success of this effort.

*  Efforts (planned or underway) in their SG/C to review & discuss the Draft
Report

Substantive discussion of the specifics of the proposal has begun on the
various mailing lists of the NCSG and of it's constituent parts (NCUC/NPOC).
The NCSG Policy Committee is currently organising itself to produce it's own
public comment by the December 21st deadline. Several of our organisational
and individual members have indicated that they will be filing separate
comments. We will be having a Webinar on the report next week and a large
portion of the NCSG policy call on December 15th is expected to be devoted
to the draft report.

*  The expected time frame for completing the review, and any deadlines for
the SG to raise concerns

Frankly, given the short amount of time allowed for public comment the
entire concept of a time frame is almost nonsensical here. Twenty one days
is insufficient time to thoroughly respond to the myriad of issues raised in
the draft report. As many of our Members (NCSG's 500 Members come from over
100 different countries) are not native English speakers their time frame
for public comment is effectively reduced to nine days. As such, our review
of the third draft report is ongoing and I expect will continue to the final
public comment deadline of December 21st, and beyond.

*  Any issues or topics arising from this review that need to be discussed
by the Council, and/or included in our response back to the CCWG.

As noted, our review is ongoing. I do expect substantial progress to have
been made by our NCSG policy call on December 15th and I, along with my
fellow NCSG Councillors, will  be prepared to discuss our concerns and
conclusions, to date, on the December 17th Council call.

There obviously is much work to be done by Council between now and the
December 21st public comment deadline. To the extent it would be helpful,
I'm happy to volunteer for any tasks that may need to be done on this during
the coming few weeks. It might upset Santa Claus a bit but something tells
me a split root would upset him even more! Despite the time constraints
let's do our best to give the CCWG some quality input worthy of the GNSO's
talented and dynamic membership.

Kind Regards,

Ed Morris

The Draft Report is expected to be published on 30 Nov, with the comment
period closing on 21 Dec.  No question that this is an extremely tight
schedule, and hopefully this approach will allow us to gather topics for
discussion on our next call on 17 Dec.

Thanks—

J.