Re: [council] About Designing a 21st Century ICANN

  • To: jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Gabriela Szlak'" <gabrielaszlak@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Maria Farrell'" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] About Designing a 21st Century ICANN
  • From: Klaus Stoll <kdrstoll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 22:12:49 +0100
  • Cc: "'John Berard'" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject :references:in-reply-to:content-type; bh=fCQ2pAc3BCu2wZtgNReFEuSLINlSis6hbDPXiqhX75A=; b=h5MsXmsIV6669q/smDwhLdxJ2dhqFOGyLJ/udYjHTwK56gZiozXZEE6gTe8CBsucOU cq7rcpIMu1CfVSWQ0rxnNDRENGBsdVOSVPu1LtpBuFRF223nauRewT3G9BiXx+p6+hZW Ai+7P81BuJYnANFGACTkWj203FK/p0AKNQ6TwMPfsiSnpTm8MUF9Cbs4TTaVsdeE1Yo9 9XBWtUrs2KaAFd9G/fVKjPH9GEgO49dbV31k+sN3FxwWdj0DU84sXXZyglB7nQikofbb PuiZyw7F6MfnmHt2AnMCDor37AYevSb7/nD38Dt5b7H1U9XWLDwTBFiQ7/4cU6BpHu2D sVmQ==
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Friends

Greetings. I have now read the report twice and I think this report merits an extended reply by the GNSO.

I will refrain from derisory comments about the report as far as a I can, only one, the first page looks like IG buzzword bingo on steroids and like steroids it replaces substance with short term illusions!

A good example is the first buzzword "crowdsource". Crowdsource is a good thing, but as it is used in the report it is just a distraction the real problem. The problem of IG in general and of ICANN in particular is not a lack of participation, it is not even a question of language and acronyms. The uncomfortable fact remains true that Cyberspacetoday resembles a country where 1% of the population governs 99% of the population and 98% of these don't even know that the 1% exist! This represents a real legitimacy problem for all current IG processes. Crowd sourcing is only real and legitimateif it is based on knowledge that is available to everybody in appropriate forms. Everybody needs to be able to be in the crowd and not just a self-elected elite. "The report says: (page4), "For an institution to merit the peoples trust, it first has to trust its people". The people we are talking about here is the global Internet user community, all of them. Trust can only come when all the people know their rights and responsibilities. In the case of IG the responsibility to inform all is not simply discharged by awareness campaigns and nice pictures, but by demonstrating the relevance of IG to every level of its user community. People engage with things only if they are relevant to them, awareness is a result of relevance, empowerment and trust are the result of trusting the internet users in understanding the true significance and deep relevance of IG in all our lives. (Mikey, here is I think also part of the answer to your question regarding getting people involved into the Wgs, its not the language, its not the time, its that we have to find a way to make the WG topics relevant to a large number of people. This will not happen if we wait that people come to us, we need to get out to them).IG institutions can only be legitimate and successful if they put the awareness building and empowerment at the center of their thinking and doing. All governance structures for Cyberspace need to be user, not expert group centric. Accountability can only come from the awareness of all what IG is accountable for. Transparency in contracts and processes only makes sense when all understand what the contracts are about. Innovation has to come from informed participation based on relevance not engineered organizational processes.

I am surprised by the liberal recommendation by the report of on-line tools that are only available to an elite and not the average online user in a developing country. Like the whole report, these recommendations reflect a first world centered view on IG and technology.

Are other councilors also disturbed by the liberal use in the report of the "ICANN should..." phrase followed even sometimes by a time line and the clear indication that the expectation is on speedy implementation without much discussion and control? Maybe the authors of the report should be the first who take their own recommendations serious:"In the future, we need to eschew the kind of self-serious pomposity that gets in the way of change and embrace humility and fallibility as touchstones to progress". Wise words, well spoken, unfortunately completely ignored in the very same report.

Happy to work with fellow councilors on a more detailed reply.

Yours

Klaus