[council] FW: Stage 2 Begins: Designing a 21st Century ICANN

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: Stage 2 Begins: Designing a 21st Century ICANN
  • From: "Jonathan Robinson" <jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:12:52 -0000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: The ICANN Strategy Panel on Multistakeholder Innovation & The GovLab
[mailto:icannmsipanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 31 January 2014 19:01
To: jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Stage 2 Begins: Designing a 21st Century ICANN

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1a990feb5c/images/logo_icann_ideascale_3_.png>

Hello!

By engaging the stakeholders of the Internet (this really includes everyone!),
the ICANN Strategy Panel on Multistakeholder Innovation (
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=9e2fe95b04&e=32eced4cfd>
 the MSI Panel) and The Governance Lab @ NYU (
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=d1a6e896d6&e=32eced4cfd>
 The GovLab) are working to develop a set of concrete proposals for designing
the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) – the public
interest organization responsible for coordinating the Internet’s Domain Name
System (DNS) – for the 21st Century.

We’re writing to request your participation in this important initiative and to
help us spread the word!

Today launches Stage 2 – Proposal Development – of our online engagement effort
aimed at getting your input into the Panel’s work in order to bring our ideas
for evolving ICANN from principle to practice. The Panel has been specifically
charged by ICANN’s President and CEO with:

·  Proposing new models for international engagement, consensus-driven
policymaking and institutional structures to support such enhanced functions;
and

·  Designing processes, tools and platforms that enable the global ICANN
community to engage in these new forms of participatory decision-making.

To answer this charter, we launched a three-stage brainstorm initiative on
November 19, 2013. We started with Stage 1: Idea Generation. The Panel and
GovLab launched an
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=49575264ee&e=32eced4cfd>
 engagement platform asking the global public to share their ideas for what
techniques, strategies, tools and platforms ICANN could look to and learn from
to help transform itself into an effective, legitimate and evolving 21st
century global organization.

We now want to take these ideas closer to implementation during Stage 2. To do
so, we’ve shared the
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=b31cd77527&e=32eced4cfd>
 draft proposal blueprint on the GovLab Blog organizing all of our ideas into
16 concrete proposals for ICANN, which we are opening up to you for discussion.
We want your feedback, input, comments, questions, and suggestions on what
we’ve collected. We’ve also published our first set of proposals, which include
recommendations for ICANN to:

*
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=c8d26b0537&e=32eced4cfd>
 Leverage expert networking;
*
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=78cb16e898&e=32eced4cfd>
 Use crowdsourcing during all phases of decisionmaking; and
*
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=75796fa362&e=32eced4cfd>
 Crowdsource oversight and develop standards to measure success.

Feel free to provide feedback or reactions using comments or the line-by-line
annotation tools enabled on the blog.

You can also see all of these materials aggregated on the GovLab's ICANN
project page, online
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=e606d3f2d6&e=32eced4cfd>
 HERE.

Help us spread the word!

Do you know any people or organizations who would be interested in these
proposal topics? We’d love to get their feedback, too. Consider doing any of
the following:

·  Forward this “Call To Action” to colleagues and organizations you know
working in these areas who may have ideas or feedback to share on the blog.

·  Share our proposal draft links (all accessible
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=166e90c780&e=32eced4cfd>
 here), as widely as possible within your networks (e.g., via mailing lists and
listservs). Feel free to link to these posts or repost on your website edited
to fit your needs!

·  Use social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter or Google+ to spread
the word about this initiative (use the #WeCANN hashtag!).

·  To inspire participation and learn how to contribute, watch and share a
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=adb2ce10df&e=32eced4cfd>
 video The GovLab made when we launched this brainstorm.

·  Discuss the MSI Panel’s work and proposals in your own communities and share
your comments and feedback with the us in the blog comments or at
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=c78e16b652&e=32eced4cfd>
 icannmsipanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Toward the end of February – we will move into the last stage of this
brainstorm – Stage 3: Collaborative Drafting. Using a
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=e89c0b7d3f&e=32eced4cfd>
 wiki, we will invite collaborative drafting on a first full draft of all
proposals that the Panel will then submit to the ICANN CEO, Board and
community. So stay tuned!

For more information, visit The GovLab at
<http://openinggovernment.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=1a990feb5c&id=6c7b575816&e=32eced4cfd>
 www.thegovlab.org.

Thanks and best,

The MSI Panel & The GovLab