RE: [council] Council Singapore schedule

I am new to this, but these are excellent suggestions.

Dan

From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mike O'Connor
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 7:56 AM
To: <jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Robinson
Cc: David Cake; Council
Subject: [council] Council Singapore schedule

i'm bouncing this thread over to a more general heading...

i'm coming at this as an observer of many weekend sessions and dreading the
fact that now i'll have to sit through the whole thing.  let's consider taking
a look at improving them if we can.  here are some ideas

- set out a small number of things that we'd like to focus on and accomplish
with the two days and then build a schedule to get those done.

- do "zero based" scheduling.  just because an item has been on the agenda
forever shouldn't give it special treatment.  if it's advancing our goals,
great.  if it's not, let's consider some other way to address the topic (more
list action, more frequent Council teleconferences, whatever)

- do the "prepare for the meeting with GAC/Board/ccNSO" discussions *before* we
get to Singapore - preferably on the list or with an extra teleconference, with
SG and constituency leaders included in the conversation

- create some significant breaks in the day rather than a solid/packed schedule
from dawn until dusk.  i'm partly coming at this for health reasons - sitting
for 10 hours straight can have some interesting consequences for old geezers
like me.

- raise the ratio of active to inactive participants - maybe create some
"breakout" sessions where birds of a feather can have more participatory
discussion and then come back to the full group with summaries.  the trouble
with huge "single-threaded" meetings is we lose a giant opportunity to hear
from each other.

just sayin'

mikey

On Jan 13, 2014, at 7:34 AM, Jonathan Robinson