RE: [council] Comments regarding the strawman

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Comments regarding the strawman
  • From: "Winterfeldt, Brian" <bwinterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:51:02 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mason:

Thank you for repeating and clarifying the RrSG position.  I am happy to repeat
the IPC position, for convenience to the list, and add some personal comments.

The IPC clearly supports the strawman and limited preventative registration
proposals.  We are disappointed at the level of disparagement of these
proposals on the Council in light of the fact that representatives from each
stakeholder group participated in Brussels and Los Angeles.  Compromises in the
strawman proposal emerged from give and take negotiation among representatives
of all stakeholder groups.  Stakeholder groups that now assert that rights
protection mechanisms should not have been revisited at all cast doubt on the
good faith of the negotiators they sent to Brussels and Los Angeles.

Looking at the transcript from our teleconference, I realize that I used the
word “consensus” and that particular word carries a bit of baggage in the ICANN
community, especially with respect to mandatory “consensus policies” referenced
in the various contracts in this space.  No one is suggesting that “consensus
policies” were reached or even discussed in the meetings with Mr. Chehadé.
Rather, quite the opposite, these were implementation meetings, not
policy-making meetings.

In addition, no one is suggesting that participation in the meetings with Mr.
Chehadé formulates complete acceptance of the proposals.  Personally, I think
the primary point—as articulated by Mr. Chehadé—is that stakeholder
representatives participated in a collaborative process focused strictly on
common ground to advance the discussion on implementation solutions.  Rather
than moving forward together as Mr. Chehadé has asked, it is disappointing to
see this entire process called into question and the entirety of strawman
proposal disparaged by Council and stakeholder representatives.

Finally, could you please clarify the statement that the RrSG would not at all
characterize any meeting on the strawman as a negotiation?  Are we to
understand that RrSG representatives sat on the sidelines and were there just
to “listen to staff’s input”?

Best regards,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt