[council] DNS Industry CEO Roundtable Events
- To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] DNS Industry CEO Roundtable Events
- From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:43:21 +0000
- Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: Ac3gD26ikeKtsr3iSkik8f7/3pZNPAAAC1eQ
- Thread-topic: DNS Industry CEO Roundtable Events
DNS Industry CEO Roundtable Events
by Fadi Chehadé on December 21, 2012
21 December 2012
To the ICANN Community,
I believe The Domain Name System - and the Industry that has grown up around it
- are at an inflection point. With the impending introduction of new gTLDs and
the vertical integration of the DNS value chain, we, as leaders within the DNS
ecosystem, must be ready to meet the challenges ahead.
I am writing to tell you about my plans to meet with leaders of this
marketplace to exchange ideas and information about the forthcoming challenges
that this sector is likely to face. Sharing this information will help me gain
a better understanding of what to expect, and how best to lead ICANN in
partnering effectively with all stakeholders as this sector grows and matures.
To achieve this, I am organizing a series of CEO Roundtables throughout 2013 to
engage directly with leaders of the DNS industry. Our talks will focus on
macro trends affecting the DNS sector, the impact of new gTLDs, and the need to
evolve the frameworks that govern relationships among DNS industry participants.
The first roundtable is to be held in mid January with registrars. Other
roundtables will follow, including with the registries and other key players in
the DNS ecosystem. Throughout the year, I plan to share the content of these
discussions and engage across the spectrum of ICANN stakeholders.
My aim, as always, is to ensure that ICANN is serving both the DNS sector and
the broader global public interest - fulfilling our mandate to enable
competition and choice, while remaining a responsible steward of the DNS.
I look forward to these events and to sharing the insights we gather with all
of you in the coming months.