Re: [council] Letter from the GAC regarding IOC/RC Protections

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Letter from the GAC regarding IOC/RC Protections
  • From: Mason Cole <mcole@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:51:40 -0800
  • Cc: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Berard <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "<council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I admit to confusion about this as well.  With all due respect to the GAC, the
IOC/RC issue has been confusing from the start.  Roughly:

Costa Rica: IOC/RC WG briefs GAC on draft protection, GAC concurs, asks board
to act fast on GNSO recs once done.  I'm not aware that there was objection to
a PDP recommendation then.

May 2011:  GAC tells board it's looking for "tightly drawn" IOC/RC protection
and its aware of no other non-profit that rises to the same level of
international protection.

Sept 2011:  GAC "advises" GNSO on which IOC/RC names to protect, characterizes
this as implementation.

March 2012: GNSO approves top-level IOC/RC protection

April 2012:  Board votes down GNSO recommendation (rationale comes later)

April 2012:  GAC tells board it has considered request for advice on IGO
protection; they advise no protections for IGOs for current round beyond what's
in the guidebook

Prague:  GAC says it's considering IGO protection and will provide advice in
July

Sept 2012: Board asks GNSO to finish IOC/RC and IGO work by Jan 31 2013

Toronto:  GAC says IGOs must be protected at top and second levels

November 2012: New TLD committee advises GNSO the board has voted to
preemptively protect second level IOC/RC and IGO names, pending outcome of GNSO
work

The takeaway for me is the changing nature of the GAC's communication.  I
recognize they believe that a) all this is "implementation" and the lack of
need for PDPs has been clear from the start, and  b) they've been clear about
IGO protection.  I believe they do believe that and to be clear I'm not
accusing anyone of dishonesty at all -- I think from the council's point of
view it has not been as clear.  If I've missed something (entirely possible)
I'm certainly open to correction.

What does seem clear is the GAC's expectation that it can and should advise the
GNSO and have that advice generally followed.  To John's point, it's correct
that in writing they are a board advisory group.  However, I'm sure we need a
better model for interacting with the GAC to avoid things like the confusion
above, and to set better methods for productive interaction.  I would be happy
to be part of the council's effort to make that happen.