RE: [council] IOC/RC

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] IOC/RC
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:47:17 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I disagreed with Mary's suggestion on the chat and continue to for a number of
reasons.  First, implicit in Mary's note is the notion that the Council has
made the decision to abandon the Drafting Team approach, which is a notion I
only advocated by the NCSG on the call.

Second, it sends the wrong message to the current Drafting Team and will make
it next to impossible for the Drafting Team to get any work done between now
and Prague.  They will not want to do any work on the second level issues as
they will believe that doing such work would be a waste of their time (Since
the GNSO as a whole is "continuing to work" on the issue).  That feeling has
already been expressed by several members of the DT (prior to the GNSO Council
call).  There is a strong belief that any future work will be a waste of their
volunteer time.

So, if we actually expect the DT to keep working on a response, which was what
I clearly heard on the call, then let's just state that the Drafting Team is
continuing to work on the issue and will provide its recommendations back to
the GNSO Council.  If on the other hand the GNSO as a whole is willing to get
on calls every two weeks and really work in earnest on the response, then I am
fine with the message Mary suggests and I expect to see you all on the call
next Wednesday as scheduled.   I am fine with taking either approach...the
Drafting Team works on it, or the GNSO as a whole works on its.  But we can't
just state that the GNSO as a whole is working on it, and then it turns out no
one actually does.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs