Re: [council] GNSO COuncil agenda 10 May 2012 at 15:00 UTC

I would like to have both matters on the agenda.

Thomas

Am 04.05.2012 um 09:57 schrieb Stéphane Van Gelder:

> Thanks Bill.
>
> Fridays was the gist of my question to Council yesterday, i.e. is this an
> onlist discussion or one we want to allocate some actual teleconference time
> to? Happy to do either. So far, there's only been one request to put this on
> the call agenda (Jeff).
>
> On Icann academy, same situation really. I am happy to add an agenda item if
> others feel there is something to discuss.
>
> Stéphane
>

> Stéphane Van Gelder
> Directeur Général / General manager
> INDOM Group NBT France
> ----------------
> Head of Domain Operations
> Group NBT
>
> Le 4 mai 2012 à 09:07, William Drake a écrit :
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just wondering—did we want to talk briefly about either Fridays or ICANN
>> Academy?  If We have views on either to share probably it'd be better to do
>> so sooner than later, no?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On May 4, 2012, at 12:54 AM, Glen de Saint Géry wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Please find the  Draft Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting – 10 May 2012 at
>>> 15:00 UTC.
>>> http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/agenda-council-10may12-en.htm
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Glen
>>>

>>> Please consult the Wiki agenda for the latest updates:
>>> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Agenda+10+May+2012
>>>
>>> The motions before Council are posted on page:
>>> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+10+May+2012
>>>
>>> Agenda for the GNSO Council Meeting 10 May 2012
>>> This agenda was established according to the GNSO Council Operating
>>> Procedures approved 22 September 2011 for the GNSO Council and updated.
>>> http://gnso.icann.org/council/gnso-operating-procedures-16dec11-en.pdf
>>> For convenience:
>>> An excerpt of the ICANN Bylaws defining the voting thresholds is provided
>>> in Appendix 1 at the end of this agenda.
>>> An excerpt from the Council Operating Procedures defining the absentee
>>> voting procedures is provided in Appendix 2 at the end of this agenda.
>>> Meeting Times 15:00 UTC
>>> Coordinated Universal Time 15:00 UTC
>>> 08:00 Los Angeles; 11:00 Washington; 16:00 London; 17:00 Paris; 00:00 Tokyo
>>> Dial-in numbers will be sent individually to Council members. Councilors
>>> should notify the GNSO Secretariat in advance if a dial out call is needed.
>>> GNSO Council meeting audiocast
>>> http://stream.icann.org:8000/gnso.m3u
>>> Item 1: Administrative matters (10 minutes)
>>> 1.1 Roll Call
>>> 1.2 Statement of interest updates
>>> 1.3 Review/amend agenda
>>> 1.4. Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the
>>> GNSO Operating Procedures:
>>> Draft Minutes of the GNSO Council meeting 12 April 2012
>>> To be approved on 30 April
>>> 2012.http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg12945.html
>>> 1.5. GNSO Pending Projects List
>>> http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/pending-projects-list.pdf
>>> Review main changes.
>>> Comments and/or questions.
>>> Item 2: Consent agenda (5 minutes)
>>> A consent agenda item is being added as a standard agenda item to provide
>>> for a simplified process to obtain Council approval on specific tasks.
>>> Item 3: Best practices for addressing abusive registrations (10 minutes)
>>> Following the recommendation of the Registration Abuse Policies (RAP)
>>> Working Group, the GNSO Council requested a discussion paper on the
>>> creation of non-binding best practices to help registrars and registries
>>> address the abusive registrations of domain names.
>>> The discussion paper recommended the creation of two Working Groups, one to
>>> establish the framework for best practices and one to propose candidate
>>> best practices to address the abusive registration of domain names.
>>> The Council must now consider a motion to set up a drafting team to create
>>> the charter for these groups.
>>> Refer to motion
>>> 1[https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+10+May+2012
>>> ]
>>> 3.2   Reading of the motion (Zahid Jamil)
>>> 3.3   Discussion
>>> 3.3   Vote
>>> Item 4: Update on the new PDP (10 minutes)
>>>
>>> In December 2011, the ICANN Board adopted, on the recommendation of the
>>> GNSO Council, the revised GNSO Policy Development Process. This session is
>>> to introduce the revised GNSO PDP and explain its new features in detail.
>>> Introduction to Revised Policy Development Process (PDP)
>>> http://gnso.icann.org/correspondence/intro-revised-gnso-pdp-14mar12-en.pdf
>>> 4.1 Update (Marika Konings)
>>> 4.2 Discussion
>>>
>>> Item 5: International Olympics Committee /Red Cross Names Drafting Team
>>> (IOC/RC DT) (10 minutes)
>>> At its March 26 meeting, the GNSO Council approved the IOC/RC DT's
>>> recommendations (see resolution passed by the Council here
>>> http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions#20120326-1).
>>> On April 10, 2012, the Board established the New gTLD Program Committee and
>>> granted it all of the powers of the Board to exercise Board-level authority
>>> for any and all issues that may arise relating to the New gTLD Program. The
>>> Committee met on 10 April 2012 and resolved not to update the New gTLD
>>> Applicant Guidebook at this time (see
>>> http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/prelim-report-new-gtld-10apr12-en.htm).
>>> In the light of this Board decision, this discussion item aims to determine
>>> whether the Council should disband the IOC/RC DT or whether fresh
>>> instructions should be given to the DT.
>>> 5.1 DT Update from Staff (X Y).
>>> 5.2 Discussion
>>> 5.3 Next Steps
>>> Item 6: Update on the Joint Supporting Organisations/Advisory Committee on
>>> New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group( JAS WG) (10 minutes)
>>>
>>> This item aims to provide the Council with a status update on the JAS WG so
>>> that next steps for the group can be determined.
>>> 6.1 WG update from Staff (Kurt Pritz)
>>> 6.2 Discussion
>>> 6.3 Next steps
>>> Item 7: Synthesis of WHOIS Service Requirements - The WHOIS Access
>>> recommendation (10 minutes)
>>> The WHOIS access recommendation was considered as part of the consent
>>> agenda at the Council's 16 February 2012 meeting.
>>> At that meeting, the ISP constituency requested that the proposal to end
>>> this work be removed from the consent agenda and considered as part of the
>>> GNSO's main agenda. A further suggestion was suggested that
>>> constituency/stakeholder members work with Staff to identify a path forward
>>> and that the topic be further discussed at the Costa Rica meetings.
>>> This agenda item is to determine what next steps, if any, should be planned
>>> for this project item.
>>> 7.1 Update from Staff (X Y)
>>> 7.2 Discussion
>>> 7.3 Next steps
>>>
>>> Item 8: Update on the Internationalised Registration Data WG (10 minutes)
>>> The IRD submitted its final report to the GNSO Council and SSAC on March 3,
>>> 2012 for review and approval.
>>> However, SSAC has recommend some substantial changes and more work may now
>>> be needed by the IRD before its final report can be considered.
>>> This agenda item is to provide an update on these latest developments in
>>> the IRD WG's work to the Council.
>>> 8.1 WG update from Staff (Steve Cheng)
>>> 8.2 Discussion
>>>
>>> Item 9:  Any Other Business (5 minutes)
>>> Appendix 1: GNSO Council Voting Thresholds (ICANN Bylaws, Article X,
>>> Section 3)
>>> 9. Except as otherwise specified in these Bylaws, Annex A hereto, or the
>>> GNSO Operating Procedures, the default threshold to pass a GNSO Council
>>> motion or other voting action requires a simple majority vote of each
>>> House. The voting thresholds described below shall apply to the following
>>> GNSO actions:
>>> a. Create an Issues Report: requires an affirmative vote of more than
>>> one-fourth (1/4) vote of each House or majority of one House.
>>> b. Initiate a Policy Development Process ("PDP") Within Scope (as described
>>> in Annex A): requires an affirmative vote of more than one-third (1/3) of
>>> each House or more than two-thirds (2/3) of one House.
>>> c. Initiate a PDP Not Within Scope: requires an affirmative vote of GNSO
>>> Supermajority.
>>> d. Approve a PDP Team Charter for a PDP Within Scope: requires an
>>> affirmative vote of more than one-third (1/3) of each House or more than
>>> two-thirds (2/3) of one House.
>>> e. Approve a PDP Team Charter for a PDP Not Within Scope: requires an
>>> affirmative vote of a GNSO Supermajority.
>>> f. Changes to an Approved PDP Team Charter: For any PDP Team Charter
>>> approved under d. or e. above, the GNSO Council may approve an amendment to
>>> the Charter through a simple majority vote of each House.
>>> g. Terminate a PDP: Once initiated, and prior to the publication of a Final
>>> Report, the GNSO Council may terminate a PDP only for significant cause,
>>> upon a motion that passes with a GNSO Supermajority Vote in favor of
>>> termination.
>>> h. Approve a PDP Recommendation Without a GNSO Supermajority: requires an
>>> affirmative vote of a majority of each House and further requires that one
>>> GNSO Council member representative of at least 3 of the 4 Stakeholder
>>> Groups supports the Recommendation.
>>> i. Approve a PDP Recommendation With a GNSO Supermajority: requires an
>>> affirmative vote of a GNSO Supermajority,
>>> j. Approve a PDP Recommendation Imposing New Obligations on Certain
>>> Contracting Parties: where an ICANN contract provision specifies that "a
>>> two-thirds vote of the council" demonstrates the presence of a consensus,
>>> the GNSO Supermajority vote threshold will have to be met or exceeded.
>>> k. Modification of Approved PDP Recommendation: Prior to Final Approval by
>>> the ICANN Board, an Approved PDP Recommendation may be modified or amended
>>> by the GNSO Council with a GNSO Supermajority vote.
>>> l. A "GNSO Supermajority" shall mean: (a) two-thirds (2/3) of the Council
>>> members of each House, or (b) three-fourths (3/4) of one House and a
>>> majority of the other House."
>>> Appendix 2: Absentee Voting Procedures (GNSO Operating Procedures 4.4)
>>> 4.4.1 Applicability
>>> Absentee voting is permitted for the following limited number of Council
>>> motions or measures.
>>> a. Initiate a Policy Development Process (PDP);
>>> b. Approve a PDP recommendation;
>>> c. Recommend amendments to the GNSO Operating Procedures (GOP) or ICANN
>>> Bylaws;
>>> d. Fill a Council position open for election.
>>> 4.4.2 Absentee ballots, when permitted, must be submitted within the
>>> announced time limit, which shall be 72 hours from the meeting‟s
>>> adjournment. In exceptional circumstances,announced at the time of the
>>> vote, the Chair may reduce this time to 24 hours or extend the time to 7
>>> calendar days, provided such amendment is verbally confirmed by all
>>> Vice-Chairs present.
>>> 4.4.3 The GNSO Secretariat will administer, record, and tabulate absentee
>>> votes according to these procedures and will provide reasonable means for
>>> transmitting and authenticating absentee ballots, which could include
>>> voting by telephone, e- mail, web-based interface, or other technologies as
>>> may become available.
>>> 4.4.4 Absentee balloting does not affect quorum requirements. (There must
>>> be a quorum for the meeting in which the vote is initiated.)
>>> Local time between March and October, Summer in the NORTHERN hemisphere
>>> Reference (Coordinated Universal Time) UTC 15:00
>>> California, USA (PDT) UTC-8+1DST 08:00
>>> New York/Washington DC, USA (EDT) UTC-5+1DST 11:00
>>> Buenos Aires, Argentina (ART) UTC-3+0DST 12:00
>>> Montevideo, Uruguay (UYT) UTC-3+0DST 12:00
>>> London, United Kingdom (BST) UTC+1DST 16:00
>>> Abuja,Nigeria (WAT) UTC+1+0DST 16:00
>>> Tunis, Tunisia (CET) UTC+1+0DST 16:00
>>> Bonn, Germany (CEST) UTC+1+1DST 17:00
>>> Paris, France (CEST) UTC+1+1DST 17:00
>>> Ramat Hasharon, Israel(IST) UTC+2+0DST 18:00
>>> Karachi, Pakistan (PKT ) UTC+5+0DST 20:00
>>> Beijing/Hong Kong, China (HKT ) UTC+8+0DST 23:00
>>> Tokyo, Japan (JST) UTC+9+0DST 00:00
>>> Wellington, New Zealand (NZDT ) UTC+12+0DST 03:00
>>> The DST starts/ends on last Sunday of October 2012, 2:00 or 3:00 local time
>>> (with exceptions)
>>> For other places see http://www.timeanddate.com
>>>

>>> Glen de Saint Géry
>>> GNSO Secretariat
>>> gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> http://gnso.icann.org

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Schollmeyer &  Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. (i.e. law firm)
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Torsten Schollmeyer, Thomas Rickert
HRB 9262, AG Bonn

Büro / Office Bonn:
Kaiserplatz 7-9, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 0

Büro / Office Frankfurt a.M.:
Savignystraße 43, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 714 021 - 56

Zentralfax: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 66

mailto: rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx
skype-id: trickert