I somehow doubt that the lack of controversial subjects on that agenda means that there wwill never be another controversial subject up for a Board decision.

If you go back to recent meetings where there HAVE been issues of contention, how the meetings played out told us a fair amount about the thought processes of various Board members and what things they valued. Some the VERY few data points that we have to allow us to judge Board member performance.

Alan

At 03/05/2012 07:02 PM, Mason Cole wrote:

I agree with Stephane's comment regarding time and efficiency, but also with Thomas' comment regarding transparency. I'm all for doing what's reasonable to keep meetings manageable. However, the board selectively discloses information about its decisions as it is. I'd like to hear about why this improves transparency. If there's a credible reason, I'm likely to be okay with it.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Thomas Rickert
Sent: Thu 5/3/2012 9:27 AM
To: Stéphane Van Gelder
Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [council] Proposed Agenda Item - Elimination of Friday Public Board Meetings

Stéphane, all,
holding meetings for the sake of having them and wasting everyone's valuable time should by all means avoided (I am sure most of you have seen the educational videos "Meetings, Bloody Meetings" with John Cleese, which I highly recommend :-)).

I also understand that it is a challenge to travel to three meetings per year that last for a week.

Thus, I fully support the idea of making meetings more effective.

Therefore,
- publishing the committee reports sounds reasonable.
- adding two sessions with community interaction sounds reasonable, too.

However, I am not convinced that the public Board meeting should be sacrificed to shorten the meeting by one day. Looking at the number of attendees, only those interested in the Board meetings participate on Friday. Participation is voluntary and those who want to spend less time at the meetings have the choice to leave.

Eliminating the public Board meeting to save time sounds patronizing to me. I do agree that it is at times a theatre and that the format could be improved. Nonetheless, even if it is a theatre, participants get the chance to learn how the group works and what the views of the board members are. I also think it makes a difference for board members to express their views publicly, so they might even be more diligent (I am not indicating board members are not diligent, but chaining the format may have that effect).

While I do believe that the Board made this change with the best intentions, I think it was wrong (at least for the Prague meeting to start) and inadequately implemented.

- There was no consultation (at least I have not seen any) on this subject matter to get community feedback whether or not the community wishes the board to save its time.

- In its announcement, ICANN does not offer any alternatives to keep transparency at the same level. This gives raise to the suspicion that there will be less transparency in the future.

- Timing for this change is unfortunate given the TAS interruption, the upcoming controversial batching process and the IANA bid. Taking the meetings out of the public arena may be perceived as not wishing to publicly discuss these (and certainly other) important matters.

Maybe meetings can actually be streamlined and end earlier, but in my view, this should not be done in a phase where ICANN is exposed to criticism as much as now.

Thomas

Thomas Rickert, Attorney at Law

Managing Partner, Schollmeyer & Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
www.anwaelte.de

Director Names & Numbers, eco Association of the German Internet Industry
www.eco.de