Re: [council] Proposed Agenda Item - Elimination of Friday Public Board Meetings

Thanks Ching. Personally, I must admit to not understanding your line of
reasoning on pay. Many ICANN attendees are not paid to come to meetings. To
them, cost reduction is a serious issue.

As for the Board, I don't think pay is the right tack here either. Board
members are not paid, they are compensated (if they choose to accept the
compensation) a rather measly 35k$ for what is in essence a full-time job all
year round. I do think we as a community need to be mindful of what we ask of
the Board. I often get the feeling this community considers that Board members
are a limitless commodity to be used at will, and that should they dare
complain about their workload, then tough!

I think if we want to continue to attract the right people to the Board, we
also need to understand that after (more than) a week's work, the Board may not
feel the current Friday organization is the best and that they want to
experiment with different configurations.

I do agree, however, that this should not be done at the cost of transparency.
Until I see this new format in Prague, I am unable to say whether that is the
case or not.

Once again, all these are personal statements.

Stéphane Van Gelder
Directeur Général / General manager
INDOM Group NBT France
Head of Domain Operations