RE: [council] Defensive Applications for New gTLDs - public comment period opened

Hello all,

I still have on my to-do list to provide you with any additional insights on
the genesis of this particular comment period, and I am following up with
relevant staff to do so.

In addition , on the broader question of public comment periods more generally,
I would like to share that I discussed your concern with Filiz Yilmaz, ICANN's
senior director of participation. She too reiterated her appreciation for the
fact that the current system is new and of course can be improved further. She
noted that recent changes were made (with extensive community consultation) and
that further refinements may certainly be warranted.  And she is very eager to
hear of any specific suggestions regarding the new system. Importantly, Filiz
pointed out that in addition, further fundamental changes (beyond changes that
have been recently worked out already together with the community) would
require similar kind of consensus building with the community.

As I understand it, the ICANN Board's Public Participation Committee (PPC) will
hold a consultation session on 15 March 2012, Thursday (9:00 am -10:30 am),
during the Costa Rica Meeting, and one of the topics will be enhancements to
the public comments process.  There will be the opportunity to provide input
during this session.

Best regards, Liz