 To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 From: <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: 02/10/2012 10:52PM
 Subject: Re: [council] Defensive Applications for New gTLDs  - public comment
period opened
 =======================
   Maybe I'm just sleep-deprived, but I was wondering when, whether and how
ICANN decides to open public comment periods on ostensibly non-policy
issues and recommendations (as this one seems to be).

While I think it will be helpful to get public and open information
about the source of the perception that trademark owners feel the need
to defensively register at the top level, and it will certainly be
useful to get more suggestions as to how ICANN can better communicate to
trademark holders the current protections available (including the
option of a Legal Rights Objection process), I'm curious as to: (1) what
prompted this particular comment period; and (2) the basis upon which
ICANN decides on public comment periods relating to requests for
clarifications/information rather than when (as is more common)
soliciting direct comment on pending recommendations and specific policy
matters.

More specifically, the ATRT had recommended that public comment periods
have distinct purposes (e.g. Notice of Inquiry vs Notice of Policy
Making), and that prioritization of these "should be established based
on coordinated community input and consultation with staff". Can ICANN
staff comment on how this is done?

(OTOH if this comment period relates to a policy matter that might lead
to Board consideration or adoption of new measures per the Bylaws, that
opens a whole other set of issues and questions ... !)

I'm curious also as to what other Councilors and/or your constituents
think.

Thanks,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>