Re: [council] Fwd: GNSO meeting with GAC in Singapore

Hi Stéphane

Two small friendly quibbles.

On Jun 13, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:

> I would argue that the GAC only appear more important than everyone else if
> everyone else lets them.

And I would argue that irrespective of how the GAC's influence to date appears
from the perspective of our sandbox, a) the governments they represent have a
lot of cards to play if they think push has come to shove, and b) there's one
government that's already proven not to be shy about getting into the game.

> And to be honest, in my conversations with GAC members, I have never gotten
> the feeling from them that they are setting themselves up to be more
> important than the rest of us. They just feel that they have a responsibility
> that we don't: the public interest.

We don't?  Under the AoC "ICANN" has that responsibility, not the GAC alone.
Are we not ICANN?

Cheers,

Bill