Re: [council] RE: Notice To GNSO Council with regard to the Board Resolution addressing Vertical Integration

  • To: Adrian Kinderis <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] RE: Notice To GNSO Council with regard to the Board Resolution addressing Vertical Integration
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:26:35 +0200
  • Cc: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with your debrief idea Adrian. As a Council, we've had a lot of
pressure from certain members of the community recently to make sure we only
position ourselves as the manager of the PD process. That's fine, but in that
case I agree we should get into the habit of asking the people actually tasked
with that process to be accountable to us.

However, in this instance I do not believe there was any wrong doing on the VI
WG co-chairs' behalf. My read is that they were of a mind to let the work
continue while there was the slightest chance of consensus happening.

I think that is the right way to go. How many times in our own recent history
have we seen deadlock break in the last few moments, just when it seemed all
hope of a consensus had been lost? If memory serves, that is actually how we
ended up with a bicameral structure on the Council: a last-minute compromise by
all involved.

Stéphane