RE: [council] GNSO Project Prioritization

Please see below Stéphane.

Chuck

From: Stéphane Van Gelder [mailto:stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 10:27 AM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: Caroline Greer; <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [council] GNSO Project Prioritization

Chuck,

The only reason I am saying the effort failed is that we are now considering
alternatives as a way forward, as per our last meeting's agenda.

Absent a feeling that the effort failed, why would the question of "what now"
even be asked?[Gomes, Chuck]  The drafting team knew that that question would
have to be considered and decided that that should be a Council activity not a
DT action.  “What now” was supposed to be the next step so it does not indicate
failure at all.

As for the reasons for this failure, in my view the system devised was way too
complex. Both to implement and to execute.[Gomes, Chuck]  I believe that part
is fixable.  In fact some of us have already been thinking of ways to make it a
lot simpler and less time consuming.

I still favour what Adrian first proposed: that the Chair lead the decision
making process as to what tasks are prioritised. Now in this, I am not
suggesting that the Chair take it upon himself to allocate priority to existing
GNSO projects. I am saying that the Chair could act as a custodian of GNSO
resources and if a new project comes in and resources are lacking to deal with
it, then the Chair either asks the council to put the project aside until the
resources become available to deal with it, or asks the council which other
project should be delayed in order to deal with the new project coming
in.[Gomes, Chuck]  Your clarification here is very helpful.  The chair cannot
be put in a situation to make prioritization decisions in a bottom-up
organization, but providing leadership with regard to priorities that have
already been set (e.g., the current results) along with other critical
information sounds reasonable.  How about steps like these as a first crack:

[Gomes, Chuck] The next time we decide to initiate a new project or even to
request an Issues report for a new project we do something like this:

1.       Review the results of the prioritization exercise

2.       Identify any projects that have ended or will shortly end

3.       Try to develop a very high level estimate of the availability of
community and staff resources at this time

4.       Determine whether there would be any impact on existing projects
(e.g., slow some down, defer some, etc.)

5.       Using the data above, evaluate whether it makes sense to take the next
step (Issues Report or WG initiation) at this time or defer it.

The chair could take the lead on this with the help of key parties and provide
a report and possibly advice to the Council.

In my view, this would be a way of applying good management to our work, while
still making sure that if new projects are deemed important enough by the
council, they can still be undertaken.

This was the main gist behind my "other" on the poll.

Stéphane

Envoyé de mon iPhone4