RE: [council] GNSO Project Prioritization

Well, if I could throw it back Stéphane, when you say that the work done so far
did not produce the ‘desired results’, what is meant by that? What were our
needs and what was the objective? [and I apologize for lacking some of the
history here, as I believe this effort started before I joined the Council].
Surely we managed as a group to identify some projects of agreed high
importance and my thinking was to use that information when we face decisions
around prioritizing work – be that time spent by Council on a particular topic
at a meeting or whatever. For example, do the Chairs need / use that sort of
information when drafting meeting agendas, allocating time etc?

What was the expected output of this project – how can we all have got to the
end of this very long effort and have failed so miserably in the eyes of some,
to the extent that we cannot salvage anything useful whatsoever? I agree that
the process seemed rather laborious and complex but was there not some general
agreement on some aspects?

I should add at this point that I unfortunately has to miss the Saturday
session in Brussels that was devoted to the Work Prioritization effort and so
do not have the benefit of that Council discussion either and I failed to see
the project’s final stages in action. However, it would be useful for me to
hear again what went so disastrously wrong in the opinion of some – was it the
complexity / amount of effort spent relative to the value of the project (in
which case we can probably all agree on that but look to the results anyway and
try to use them in some way) or the process (ie, was it flawed in some way? If
we all agree on that, then yes, we should scrap the results that we have).
Alternatively, do we simply not know what to now do with the results, in which
case that requires group discussion in my opinion.

Many thanks,

Caroline.