RE: [council] FW: Support for a PDP Work Team Face to Face Meeting

  • To: "Gomes,Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] FW: Support for a PDP Work Team Face to Face Meeting
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:38:34 -0700
  • Cc: "Neuman,Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx, "Zahid Jamil" <zahid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuck,

I think Mike's point about the PDP-WT's request first being evaluated by
the PPSC is correct. The PDP-WT was formed by the PPSC, not the Council.
If the PPSC has not been consulted then I agree that it should be
consulted before the Council take any action on this. The timing of the
request in relation to the actual F2F should not be used as an excuse to
try to hurry this along. If approved, the WT can meet in February if
January doesn't work out.

The PDP-WT has had considerable time to make the request considering
when it first came up (before Seoul). It appears to me the last three or
so conference calls have focused on it. In fact, if they'd spent their
time actually dealing with charter issues instead of debating the F2F
issue there may not be a need for a F2F.

As you said yourself, "already budgeted GNSO Improvement funds used for
this request would not be available for funding of other such requests
in the future or for other GNSO improvement implementation actions in
this fiscal year." And, "there are no provisions in any of the documents
that govern Council operation that provide procedures for Council action
on issues like this." So I don't think it is wise for Council to rush to
a vote on this.

Tim