RE: [council] Draft GNSO Council Operating Procedures - abstentions

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Draft GNSO Council Operating Procedures - abstentions
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:21:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If the number of abstentions is so high as that the actual votes aren't
a quorum, it seems to me that (applying the two most common reasons for
abstentions) either (a) so many Councilors have conflicts that it
shouldn't be something that Council votes on; or (b) so many Councilors
have procedural or substantive objections to a vote that it shouldn't be
something that Council votes on. Either way, if it gets to that point, I
don't think Council should be voting.