Re: [council] Regarding voting rules for conflict of interest - proxies

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Regarding voting rules for conflict of interest - proxies
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:40:02 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bruce,

Both you and Chuck make interesting points. Especially in the light of
recent discussions we've had in the Council about how Councillors can best
represent the views of their constituencies. There's no doubt that if a
constituency instructs its Councillors to vote a certain way on a certain
issue, said Councillors will be put in a very difficult situation if they
have a conflict of interest on that issue.

One (easy?) way to resolve this might simply be for Councillors to state
that they are voting as instructed by the constituency and not as a
reflection of their own personal views. This could then be recording in the
vote summary that goes to the Board for instance, or in the transcript that
is made publicly available.

However, I see several problems. The first one is that Councillors are
generally assumed to vote for their constituencies anyway, so why stress
that fact again? And what if a Councillor then votes without stating the
above, either because he forgets to, or because he doesn't have clear
instructions from his Constituency? Would people naturally assume his vote
is a reflection of his own personal views and accuse him or her of putting
those first?

It's a difficult one.

Stéphane