Re: [council] Registry Operators

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Registry Operators
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:06:46 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kristina,

I think Chuck's frustration also stems from the impression that some would
apply standards to the contracted parties that they do not apply to
themselves.

The IRT may be seen as an example of that. Although I understand that this
needed to be a closed group to make it possible to complete the - truly
extraordinary in my view - amount of work it needed to do in only 8 weeks,
you know that many take exception to what they see as a closed "lawyers only
club". The IPC had full control over who was to be included in the group and
it ended up with an overwhelming majority of lawyers on it.

My honest opinion is that this was necessary for the IRT to work. Why?
Because of the IRT's special circumstances.

I think the domain ecosystem is also a "special circumstance" and that this
is highlighted in many ways, one of which is the way the GNSO is structured.
In a normal environment, you might not even expect a body such as ICANN to
open up its discussions with its contracted parties to anyone else. But the
GNSO allows for many groups that have interests in the domain ecosystem,
commercial or otherwise, to interact and work together.

Within that, there are different sets of circumstances. Those parties that
sign contracts with ICANN and are then bound by those contracts obviously
have a different position within the ecosystem from those parties that do
not. The GNSO is structured in such a way as to represent that, and it seems
to me that is both a fair and a good thing.

You make the point that ICANN has control over which entities it contracts,
but isn't that also a good thing? I think the community as a whole has often
pushed for even tighter controls by ICANN over those entities it accredits,
either as registrars or registries. For good reason. Making sure the
accredited entities abide by a certain standard means that the end-users run
less risk of doing business with dodgy entities. It also helps even the
playing field for those contracted parties, a clear requisite to allow new
entities to come into the business for example.

Just some personal ideas. This is a complex discussion that would obviously
need many more pages of emails...

Thanks,

Stéphane