[council] Updated Statement of Interest

  • To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Updated Statement of Interest
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:03:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attached and copied below is a revised statement of interest for me.

Two changes were made from my previous statement of interest:

1.      In the first paragraph, I stated that VeriSign is operator of
the .name gTLD whereas previously we were only providing backend
registry services for the Global Name Registry.  This changed as a
result of the VeriSign acquisition of GNR earlier this year.  Even
though the acquisition was completed some time ago, it should be noted
that ICANN has not yet approved the redelegation of .name.
2.      I added the last paragraph that says, "VeriSign may apply
directly for new gTLDs and also may serve as a registry services
provider in support of other applicants for new gTLDs."

Chuck

Interest Statement from Chuck Gomes for the GNSO RN-WG

I am Vice President of Policy and Compliance for VeriSign, Inc.
VeriSign is the registry operator for the .com, .net and .name gTLDs and
also provides backend registry services in support of Employ Media for
the .jobs gTLD.  VeriSign is also the registry operator for two ccTLDs,
.cc for the Cocos and Keelings Islands and .tv for Tuvalu.

As an employee who supports VeriSign's naming services business, I do
often have access to Registry Sensitive information including
information about registrars.  With regard to both our gTLD and ccTLD
registration services businesses as well as other VeriSign businesses,
our customers and business associates have interests in various ICANN
policy issues and may be members of other GNSO constituencies and/or
supporting organizations.

In addition to registry agreements with ICANN for .com and .net,
VeriSign also has obligations to the U.S. Department of Commerce through
a cooperative agreement that was initiated in 1993 and has been amended
many times since then.  Those obligations include providing the A and J
root servers as well as support to ICANN in implementing changes in the
root zone file.  As such, VeriSign is a member of the DNS Root Server
System Advisory Committee and also works closely with IANA staff in the
processing of root zone changes.

As a representative elected to the GNSO Council by the unsponsored gTLD
registry members of the gTLD Registry Constituency (RyC), I am required
by the Constituency's Articles of Operation to represent the views of
those members and the full Constituency as applicable, not my own or
VeriSign's.  In that regard, I will endeavor to always qualify any
personal statements as such and will follow-up with the RyC to obtain
their position.

I own shares of VeriSign stock and hold options to purchase additional
shares, but the amount of shares I currently own plus the potential
shares I could possibly own if I exercised all options is a miniscule
number relative to the total number of VeriSign shares.

Regarding the pending introduction of new gTLDs, VeriSign may apply