[council] draft working definitions of WHOIS-related terms attached

  • To: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Metalitz <met@xxxxxxx>, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Eulgen, Lee J." <LEulgen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] draft working definitions of WHOIS-related terms attached
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:34:30 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

You may recall that in Cairo the Council decided that it would be helpful to
develop "working definitions" of several terms that are being used in the
context of Council discussions of possible future studies of WHOIS.  At the
meeting, Council members identified eight terms and asked staff to develop
initial working definitions that the Council could use as a starting point for
further discussion and definition. In order to respond to the Council's
request, staff solicited definitions for these terms from GNSO Council members
and community stakeholders.  We also researched and reviewed ICANN meeting
transcripts, policy and compliance documents and constituency position
statements, as well as other reference papers.   The attached is a compilation
of that research, intended to respond to the Council's request.  The attached
is an initial first draft - it does not represent the viewpoints or positions
of ICANN or ICANN staff and is for community discussion purposes only.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like further information.
 I will also be uploading a copy of this draft to the Council workspace under
"Whois references" --
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?whois_references

Thanks, Liz