Re: [council] Rationale of thresholds for initiating issues reports and PDPs

On 25 maj 2007, at 05.52, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

The view points on this topic tend to divide by those
that have weighted voting (want it retained) and those that don't (want
it removed) :-)

I am not sure that the division between the two positions maps that strictly. I expect there are those on both sides of this issue who are able to look at it more or less dispassionately and make a decision that is not based on whether they have 1 vote or 2. I believe that is at least true for the individual representatives. That may not be true for the constituencies themselves - it is hard to imagine a collective mind such as a constituency that enforces constituency based united front voting being willing to give up such an advantage if it has it, or not wanting an advantage it doesn't have.

And yes, I noticed that you said 'tends'. ;-)

a.

note on 'united front' for anyone who has not encountered the term before, it is a notion that no matter how much disagreement there may be within a group, e.g. a constituency, it behaves as if of one mind outside the constituency. in the politics it is sometimes called party discipline. opinions on whether it is good or evil vary.