RE: [council] Version 2: Proposed motion regarding Personal Data that is collected and retained by registrars

  • To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Version 2: Proposed motion regarding Personal Data that is collected and retained by registrars
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:48:59 +1000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marilyn,

> The key point I am trying to make is
> that staff could select only European ccTLDs  -- it might
> appear to be 'representative' but really isn't. I am quite
> aware of the great diversity of the ccTLD community, since I
> used to represent a MNC that registered in over 35 ccTLDs,
> and when I co-chaired the WHOIS TF, we talked to probably
> 10-12 different ccTLDs and learned a great deal about their
> diversity. The mere difference of civil law versus common law
> creates a diversity. And the different models -- strong
> government involvement, no government involvement, benevolent
> government involvement -- and other models still emerging...
> all speak to the need to have 'representative ness'
> not only geographical, but beyond that...

I will update the motion with your suggestions about having a suitably
diverse range.

> So, not willing to give up that criteria.  I know that you
> are very familiar with .au, but .au is one among many
> different models. I think the point is to create a 'diverse'
> and representative consultation -- and NOT to restrict
> ourselves to only those TLDS that we presently 'know' as
> individual councilors.

Agreed.

Incidentally, Melbourne IT is a global registrar, and registers in over
200 cctlds for our corporate customers (I think we support close to 300
when you consider second levels like .com.au, .co.jp etc) so I am also
personally aware of the diversity that you describe.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin