RE: [council] Election of GNSO Council chair

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Election of GNSO Council chair
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:08:12 +1000
  • Cc: "Dan Halloran" <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>, "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

> I recommend the Council consider appointing a person as GNSO
> Council chair for a 1 month term:
>  18 Nov 2005 to 18 Dec 2005,
> and then after the AGM, the Council appoints a person for a
> 12 month term.

Thanks for all the feedback on this proposal.

(1) For the future, I recommend that we simply add a GNSO rule of
procedure that states that an election for the GNSO Council chair will
occur within the month following an AGM.

(2) For the new term, we can state the GNSO Council chair is elected
from the time of appointment until one month after the next ICANN AGM,
or a date 12 months after the date of appointment, whichever is sooner.

(3) For the next Council meeting I recommend we appoint a person from 18
Nov to 1 month after the 2005 AGM (ie until 4 Jan 2005).

We can then run the election during December, for the next term to run
from 4 Jan to 3 Dec 2006 (one month after the current date for 2006
AGM).

In due course we can update the bylaws - but lets start with what is
immediately under our control.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin