Re: [council] gTLD registries' paper on new TLds

Jeff,

I think that this revised version is much better, since it mentions application provide3rs along ISPs (in my experience, the former are more responsible of communication failures attached to new TLDs thatn the latter). It also helps that it does not sound anymore as "pointing the finger" to a given constituency...

A couple of suggestions:

* in the recommendation section, I think that we could/should add an action item for other consituencies, such as distributing a sort of "revised DNS primer" or just a remidner of what the statement says to ISPs but also applicati9on providers and e-commerce site operators, so as to bring their attention to this point.

* the follwoing paragraph confuses me:

"Prior to November 2000, the list of valid TLDs very seldom changed, and only a few ccTLDs were added to the list, including Palestine (.ps) and Afghanistan (.af)."

In fact, prior to November 2000 the list changed much more than after that date... even if it was quite stable since late 1997. The reference to .af is in any misleading, as it was created in 1997, among many, many others. In fact, as far as I can remember, the only ccTLD effectively added duing ICANN existance is .ps (with .eu in the pipeline, but not yet active, as .tl which should replace .tp, but which is apparently in a limbo somewhere between ISO and IANA....). .af had a difficult life, including disappearences and redelgations, but it was created well before 2000.

Amadeu