Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

  • To: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:19:36 +0000
  • Cc: "'Marcus Faure'" <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx, brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Has anyone considered another alternative: depositing the whois at a common
> third party across all ICANN-contracted TLDs? Not the registries and not the
> registrars?

Paul,

The idea has occured to me. It gets the registry's hands off the IPC-mandated
data, and adds to the 3rd-party-escrows-or-drop-pools-or-validates-or-...
possibilities, which I think is desirable. We already see whois clients with
scoped expertise about the tld population, I don't see any reason why we
shouldn't also see whois servers with scoped authority about the gtld names.

Eric