Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

  • To: Marcus Faure <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:43:06 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcus Faure wrote:

> Hello,
>
> even with a thin model, the first point of contact is the registry, e.g. you
> have to go to the Internic whois first before you know which other whois
> to query. Therefore the registry must be monitored closely, but IMHO doing your
> own whois does not help here. Sitefinder is a keyword for this discussion.
>
> As long as we do not have standardized whois output, a thin model is more
> difficult to deal with. I also think that the per-registrar thin model that
> Bruce proposed will cause this extra work, and honestly I do not believe that
> the average user understands it.

Can you explain what you mean by "honestly I do not believe that the average
user understands it"?

> A registration service provider can be handled with an optional maintainer
> field in the whois. We have one on the CORE whois that defaults to the member
> number, but can also contain a URL.

How are you going to translate the "optional maintainer field"
in the registry whois output so that a registrant can understand
who the reseller is? Are you going to ask the registry to
lookup and display 2-3 lines of human readable information? And that they will
agree to even make modification to add this field?

Will you also have the registry (if thick model) display the
registrar in a human readable format? Or does the registrant have
to do a further search with a code to find out, for example, who
registrar "R33-LROR" is?

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> Yours,