Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion
  • From: Jens Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:39:15 +0200
  • Cc: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, "'Marcus Faure'" <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx, Alexander Siffrin <asiffrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine schrieb:

Has anyone considered another alternative: depositing the whois at a common
third party across all ICANN-contracted TLDs? Not the registries and not the
registrars?

Paul,

The idea has occured to me. It gets the registry's hands off the IPC-mandated
data, and adds to the 3rd-party-escrows-or-drop-pools-or-validates-or-...
possibilities, which I think is desirable. We already see whois clients with
scoped expertise about the tld population, I don't see any reason why we
shouldn't also see whois servers with scoped authority about the gtld names.

Eric

The data has to be collected and kept in sync with the remaining registry repository, domain and host objects (e.g. the whois data for a domain object may not be removed as long as the domain exists, and may not be created if the domain does not exist).

The only appropriate way to enforce this is by performing all updates through the registry, using EPP again.

This would basically just outsource the whois port 43 to a third party, the registry would still use a thick protocol. Every registry-service can be outsourced, technically. GNR, the .name registry, has already done so. e.g. According to ARIN, whois.nic.name [198.41.1.47] is located at "Network Solutions, Inc.".

Best regards,

Jens Wagner
CTO Key-Systems GmbH

Key-Systems GmbH