RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list

  • To: <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:22:26 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny wrote:

> As such, I would change the wording to read "to ascertain and
> transmit the views of the membership".

I think that is a well reasoned change to make.  Very often when conducting
market research, the opinions one is after are not necessarily those of the
majority.  To present both sides and their rationales could be very helpful
to ICANN and the associated bodies in formulating policy changes that take
into account the views and concerns of all.  I am for this change and unless
I hear to the contrary, I will incorporate it within the next version.

> Please note that as some list participants are articulating
> the views of special-interest communities (this is a
> cross-constituency platform), the output of this body cannot
> necessarily be viewed as the "views of the ordinary citizen".

One thing I am trying to get across in these rules, and this is something
that I think is most important to allow freedom for participation, is that
the people participating are individuals and, unless otherwise stated (as is
the case with our current Chair posting as himself or as Chair); their
comments and opinions are their own and not necessarily those of the
organizations that they generally represent.  This gives each individual the
right to express an individual opinion whether they be Board member, Chair
or any other related position.  Thus when I post it is as me, myself and I
and not as MD of this company, CEO of that, Board Member of this or that or
the other.

Comments and wording on this would be most welcome - assuming you agree.

Best

Debbie