RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list
  • From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:03:10 +1200
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 11:43 p.m. 26/07/2007, Debbie Garside wrote:
Joop wrote:

> Frankly, I'm a bit worried about any mechanism that purports
> "to ascertain and represent the consensual views of the
> ordinary citizen as a collective" if it isn't based on voting
> and counting.

As I see it, this list would be tied up completely with voting mechanisms if
we have to base everything that we do on voting and counting.  However,
there is scope to include something about "rough consensus" as gathered by
the Chair but for list members to request voting and counting on
contentious/certain issues - with rules for such a request requiring support
from (say) 5 members perhaps.  What do you think?

Debbie,

I agree that not "everything that we do" needs to be voted on.
But if this list is going to act as representing a consensus, it may be needed.

Rules for voting are needed, sure. The chair can order it on a request supported by 5 members. That sounds o.k. to me.

The chair can then post his formulation of the question to the list for approval.
The reply options can be posted by the original requester - or vice versa.

The voting and automated count can take place offlist on a voting site such as pollingbooth.info

FYI, this is how the chair got voted in.

-joop-