RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list

  • To: <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:43:53 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joop wrote:

> Frankly, I'm a bit worried about any mechanism that purports
> "to ascertain and represent the consensual views of the
> ordinary citizen as a collective" if it isn't based on voting
> and counting.

As I see it, this list would be tied up completely with voting mechanisms if
we have to base everything that we do on voting and counting.  However,
there is scope to include something about "rough consensus" as gathered by
the Chair but for list members to request voting and counting on
contentious/certain issues - with rules for such a request requiring support
from (say) 5 members perhaps.  What do you think?

Best

Debbie