Re: [ga] Sponsorship of IGF Workshops ( root server traffic analysis requests )

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Sponsorship of IGF Workshops ( root server traffic analysis requests )
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:35:33 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  Dr. Dierker, again please trim your CC list when responding as
not doing so wastes band width and folks in Vietnam whom may not
have any sex, can at least not be hendered by wasteful use of
resources such as band width.

However to your ?:

  Yes I believe at least Joe, Karl, and myself had several times ask for

these records or where they were available as a link, for review.  Those

requests went unresponded to, and remain unresponded to. The archives
of this forum should have a copy of those requests if indeed the
archives
have not again been redacted and/or had entries removed as has happened
in the past which against gets back to ICANN accountability and
transparency
concerns which remain a considerable credibility problem for ICANN.

  However George, or whomever he really is, is more concerned
about personality and political correctness issues as is most of the
BC which is hardly a area of responsibility or function of ICANN,
nor should it reasonably be of the GA.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Go slow for me. I assume that the root server traffic analysis has
> been asked for by someone. What is the suggested reason for refusing
> to make it public?
>
>   Eric
>
> Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     Karl Auerbach wrote:
>
> > Even if ICANN were to vanish in a poof of money colored smoke IP
> > packets would still flow unvexed from source IP address to
> destination
> > IP address and domain name query packets would continue to be
> > transformed into domain name response packets. Registrars would
> still
> > buy and sell domain names and registrars would still construct zone
> > files and run their name servers. Intellectual property lawyers will
>
> > whine, but will compensate by increasing the bills they send to
> their
> > clients. And a lot of superfluous "staff" and consultants would have
>
> > to find new jobs.
>
> Amen. That day is coming.
>
> I would go further and say that ICANN has actually cause problems in
> the
> technical function. I'm a bit concerned with their little experiment
> in
> list IDN TLDs as A RRs.
>
> Also speaking about TLDs as A RRs, what about localhost. That TLD
> causes alot of traffic at the root server level.
>
>   And if ICANN published it's root server traffic analysis we would
> see that.
>
>   Every computer in
> the world knows the answer to localhost. The only localhost traffic
> that is hitting ICANN roots these days is coming from misconfigured
> computers. If ICANN provided an answer to localhost then would that
> not
> be better. Would te internet not benefit from a decrease in localhost
> traffic to the root servers.
>
> Part of the function of managing internet resources is to correct
> error.
>
> regards
> joe baptista
>
> --
> Joe Baptista www.publicroot.org
> PublicRoot Consortium
> The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive,
> Representative & Accountable to the Internet community @large.
> Office: +1 (202) 517-1593
> Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084
>
> begin:vcard
> fn:Joe Baptista
> n:Baptista;Joe
> org:PublicRoot Consortium
> adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
> email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> title:PublicRoot Representative
> tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
> tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://www.publicroot.org
> version:2.1
> end:vcard

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827