RE: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN

  • To: <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Debbie Garside'" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:53:05 +0200
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I am not displaying any such thing to anybody.  I was merely
> pointing out to you the state of affairs as they are and NOT
> as any one of us would like them to be, and furthermore, I
> was constructively criticizing what I viewed as a politically
> motivated set of circumstances that involved ICANN policy.
> Nothing more and nothing less, make of that what you will.

Sotiris,

I personally share the same feelings (and I am sure that Debbie also does)
against child slavery, but would argue that it is *not* something involving
ICANN policy.
ICANN is providing a public service in delegating ccTLDs, and cannot get
into personal evaluation of the internal politics of the countries. I think
that Debbie is right in arguing that if ICANN starts to to this, it could be
the beginning of a slippery slope.

Cheers,
Roberto